Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Plan Your Product Like You Plant Your Garden

When I was a youngster, my father introduced me to vegetable gardening, and every summer we worked the garden together. I didn't realize back then, that he was "sowing the seeds" for my future career. And while it's April 8 and spring is "officially" here, it's snowing in NJ. But next week, me and my kids will plant the vegetable seeds in the greenhouse so they will be ready to move outdoors in mid May. While marketing is my profession, gardening is one of my top favorite pasttimes; and the truth is that the processes are very similar. Maybe that's why I like them both so much.

In gardening, we plan, plant, thin, prune, fertilize, water and harvest.

In book or product marketing we spend months planning for our planting which we call a "launch", we thin out/prune back the least productive initiatives, fertilize and water the winners with increased effort and focus, and watch our clients harvest/reap the rewards.

So for all the avid gardeners out there, teach your kids to garden too. It may prepare them for a future career in marketing.

No comments:

Post a Comment